menu

About Us

Chief George Freas The Horsham Police Department was created in May, 1951, when Horsham Council deemed it necessary to provide for the safety and security of the residents of Horsham Township. The department began with one man who was appointed the Chief of Police – George W. Freas, Sr. Later that same year, a second man, Benjamin P. Samson was appointed to serve with the Chief. At that time, the department consisted of one police cruiser that they shared.
 
Over the years, the police department continued to grow with the community, as did the need for more specialized services. By 1976, there were five patrol cars, three detective cars, two administrative cars, one mobile crime laboratory and one surveillance van. All patrol cars were equipped with oxygen and lifesaving equipment.
Chief Donovan and Ruxton
In 1969, John L. Donovan was appointed as Horsham Township’s second Police Chief. Chief Donovan began his career as an officer with the department in 1958. He was promoted to Sergeant in 1959, Lieutenant in 1962 and Captain in 1965.

 Robert H. Ruxton took over as Police Chief in December, 1995. Chief Ruxton joined the Horsham Police Department as a police officer in March of 1973 and served in that capacity until he was promoted to Sergeant in October of 1981. He served as a Platoon Sergeant until June 1989 when he was promoted to Lieutenant. As a Lieutenant, he shared the responsibilities of command over the patrol, detective and administrative divisions of the police department. In May of 1995 he was promoted to Captain and in December of 1995 was promoted to the rank of Chief of Police.

Police Building From 1959 until 2009 the police department was located in the Township Municipal Building and occupied approximately 5,000 sq. ft. of space. The size and configuration of the existing space had proven to be inadequate as the department had grown and the nature of police work had evolved. In 2009, a new 14,020 square foot police station was built on the property adjacent to the Municipal Building at 1025 Horsham Road. Council was committed to providing the department with the resources that they needed to insure the residents are well served. The new facility includes many features that were nonexistent in the old building. Those features include: a secure area for prisoner and evidence processing, work stations with computer access for the patrol officers, a roll call room, interview rooms for the accused as well as the victims of crime, full size lockers for the officers’ equipment, and a sally port with an attached garage for secure transport of prisoners.

Chief Daly and Ruxton The Horsham Township Police Department received accreditation from the Pennsylvania Law Enforcement Accreditation Commission beginning in 2003 as one of the first townships to be accredited in Pennsylvania. Since then, the Police Department has completed a reassessment in 2006, 2009 and 2012. The Pennsylvania Chiefs of Police Association (PCPA) introduced the Pennsylvania Law Enforcement Accreditation (PLEAC) Program in 2001. The PCPA developed 132 standards that have to be met by any law enforcement agency within the Commonwealth if the agency desires to become accredited.

Deputy Chief William Daly was promoted to Chief of Police on January 8, 2014 at the Township Council meeting where Chief Robert Ruxton officially retired. Daly, a U.S. Air Force veteran who started his career with the Horsham Police in 1987, rose through the ranks and was named sergeant in 1998 and lieutenant in 2004 before being appointed the department’s first Deputy Chief in 2013. Daly is the fourth police chief since the department’s inception in the 1950s.

In the years of its existence, the police department has grown from one officer answering calls using one police vehicle to a police force of 41 sworn officers that are supported by a 7 member dispatch and clerical staff. 24/7/365 days a week, come rain, sleet, snow or shine, the Horsham Police work to ensure that our residents live in a safe environment where work and play are the major issues of the day.